Starting Tuesday, January 11, Finger Lakes ReUse is temporarily pausing the acceptance of household and clothing items in order to process existing volumes of these types. This move will keep items out of the waste stream and in local hands, as quality backstock of items already received will be made available for purchase.
All other regularly-accepted categories of items are still welcome, including furniture, electronics, computers and peripherals, books and media, building materials, lighting, shoes, and appliances.
This change will be in effect until further notice, at both donation acceptance areas at the Ithaca ReUse Center (214 Elmira Road) and ReUse MegaCenter (2255 N. Triphammer Road). Our donations acceptance locations remain open 6 days a week (closed only on Thursdays), 10 am – 6 pm.
Household materials generally include dishes, glassware, cookware, toys, artwork, frames, school/office supplies, luggage, bags, pet supplies, antiques, collectibles, and sporting goods. Clothing items include both adult and childrens’ items and accessories. We are still able to accept shoes of all sizes.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why do you have to temporarily stop accepting these types of materials?
- An estimated 400,000 items that have been previously donated need to make it to the shelves for sale – those who’ve donated the materials and the community members who need these valuable items are counting on us.
- Where else can I donate?
- You can check out the list of other reuse businesses in Tompkins County from Get Your Greenbacks, or use Recycle Tompkins’ “What Do I Do With” search page.
- This is really inconvenient/upsetting to me.
- We hear you. This is a temporary change, and we appreciate your support and patience!
- How can I help?
Help us make room for all those household and clothing goods by shopping ReUse for your needs and consider donating some time to help process all of these materials. Up to 30% of our labor is all volunteer – and it’s fun, too!